Mr. Zwally’s extensive litigation experience in both intellectual property and commercial matters allows him to advise clients across a broad spectrum of business issues.
A Haug Partners veteran since its second year, David Zwally is a partner with a deep expertise in intellectual property litigation, and in particular patent infringement actions. This experience spans many technologies including pharmaceuticals, hybrid vehicles, semiconductors, and laminate flooring just to name a few. He has a particular skill in analyzing issues and developing strategies to address those issues for his clients, a skill that has become more critical as IP litigation has become more complex. He has tried cases in district courts across the country as well as before the International Trade Commission. His skills also encompass significant litigation experience in non-patent IP matters and other related litigations such as antitrust, trade secret, trademark, and other commercial actions.
REPRESENTATIVE PATENT CASES
- Certain Hybrid Elec. Vehicles & Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-998 (U.S. Int’l Trade Comm’n)
- Coalition for Affordable Drugs II LLC v. Cosmo Tech Ltd., IPR 2015-00988 (PTAB)
- Shire Development LLC, et. al. v. Mylan Pharms. Inc., 12-1190 (M.D. Fla.)
- The Medicines Company v. Mylan Inc. et al., 11-1285 (N.D. Ill.)
- Shire LLC v. Amneal Pharms., LLC et al., 11-3781 (D.N.J.)
- Akzenta Paneele + Profile GmbH et al. v. Shaw Indus. et al., 10-0016 (E.D. Tex.)
- Duramed Pharms. Inc. (n/k/a Teva Women’s Health) v. Paddock Labs., Inc., 09-1905 (S.D.NY.)
- Akzenta Paneele + Profile GmbH v. Unilin Flooring N.C. LLC et al., 05-3455 (D. Md.)
- Atlantic City Coin & Slot Ser. Co. v. VSR Lock, Inc., 06-2784 (D.N.J.)
- Shire Labs. Inc. v. Barr Labs., Inc., 03-1219, 03-6632 (S.D.N.Y.)
REPRESENTATIVE NON-PATENT CASES
- Tina Picone v. Shire US, Inc. et al., 16-12396 (D. Mass.)
- Allyson Netwall v. Shire US, Inc., et al., 13-1669 (E.D Pa.)
- Monica Barba et al. v. Shire US, Inc., et al., 13-21158 (S.D. Fla.)
- Impax Labs., Inc. v. Shire LLC, 10-8386 (S.D.N.Y.)
- American Standard, Inc. et al. v. Robert R. Williams et al., 04-286 (S.D. Ala.)
- Tokyo Electron Arizona, LLC v. Discreet Indus. Corp. et al., 01-3245 (E.D.N.Y.)
- Authored “The Federal Circuit Clarifies the Scope of § 101 in Pharmaceutical Related Patents” in IP Frontline.
- Co-authored “Practice Tips from First Ever Inter Partes Review Decision: Garmin v. Cuozzo” in BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal
- Co-authored “Licensing Intellectual Property” in the Journal of Commercial Biotechnology.
- New York Law Journal In-House CLE Seminar (presenter), “Current Hot News in the IP Industry: Venue, Trade-Secrets and On-Sale Bar,” the Yale Club of New York, May 20, 2016.
- He served as a panelist in a 2013 HuffPost Live segment addressing appropriate FDA labeling requirements for OTC supplements, including those containing dimethylamylamine.
- SuperLawyers® Metro Edition, 2012-present
- Lehigh University, (B.A., Molecular Biology, 1996)
- Rutgers University, (J.D., 2000)
- New York
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- New Jersey
- District of New Jersey
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Board Member, Hereditary Disease Foundation, 2013-present (Chairman of the Board, 2015-present)
- Board Member, NJ Cure HD, Inc., 2011-present