Ed HaugManaging Partner
Ed Haug is the managing partner of Haug Partners LLP formerly named Frommer Lawrence & Haug and founded in 1997. The firm now has offices in New York City, Boston and Washington D.C. and focuses on intellectual property, antitrust, FDA and commercial litigation among other complimentary practice areas. Ed recently served as president of the Federal Circuit Bar Association and was a member of the CAFC advisory council to Chief Judge Prost. Ed is also a "ranked trial lawyer" by Chambers, a member of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel, and a current board member of New York Bio.
Mr. Haug has extensive experience in bench and jury trials as well as appellate proceedings having appeared before the U.S. Supreme Court, Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Second and Fourth Circuit. He has also represented clients involved in proceedings before the U.K. High Court, German Federal Supreme Court and the Tokyo High Court.
In addition to Mr. Haug's activities as a practicing attorney, Mr. Haug serves as Past President of the Federal Circuit Bar Association ("FCBA"). The FCBA is a national bar association representing approximately 2000 lawyers, judges, and academics practicing before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, which sits a short walk away from the firm's Washington DC office. The Federal Circuit hears all appeals of patent cases in the U.S. and offers a forum for common concerns and dialogue between the private bar, corporations, government employees and the Court.
Mr. Haug is a frequent lecturer throughout the world regarding all aspects of trial advocacy with a frequent focus on IP matters.
- Supernus Pharm., Inc. v. Actavis Inc., No. 1:13-cv-04740-RMB-JS (D.N.J.)
- Supernus Pharm., Inc. v. Actavis Inc., No. 16-1619 (Fed. Cir.)
- Supernus Pharm., Inc. v. TWi Pharm., Inc., No. 1:15-cv-00369-RMB-JS (D.N.J.)
- Shire Development, LLC et al. v. Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc. et al., No. 14-206, 135 S. Ct. 1174 (2015)
- The Medicines Company v. Hospira, Inc., Fed. Cir., No. 2014-1469, (petition for rehearing en banc granted 11/13/15)
- Shire Dev. LLC v. Watson Pharm'l, No. 12-60862, 2013 WL 1912208 (S.D. Fl. May 9, 2013)
- Tokyo Electron Arizona, LLC v. Discreet Indus. Corp. et al., No. 01-3245 (E.D.N.Y.)
- Paice v. Porsche Cars North America, Inc. et al., United States International Trade Commission, (Investigation No. 337-TA-998)
- Beacon Navigation GmBH v. Porsche Cars North America, Inc. et al., United States International Trade Commission, (Investigation No. 337-TA-814)
- Shire Development, LLC et al. v. Mylan Pharmaceuticals Development, Inc. et al., No. 8:12-cv-1190-T-36AEP, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 35882 (M.D. Fla. Mar. 23, 2015)
- Bowman v. Monsanto, No. 11-796 (U.S. Supreme Court), certiorari granted October 5, 2011
- Duramed Pharms. Inc. (n/k/a Teva Women's Health) v. Paddock Labs., Inc., No. 09-1905 (S.D.N.Y.)
- Johnson Matthey Inc. v. Noven Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Shire U.S. Inc., No. 07-260 (E.D. Tex.)
- Marchon Eyewear, Inc. and Rothandberg, inc. v. Tura LP and Brodart Co., No. 98-1932 (E.D.N.Y.)
- Haug, E. Post-Patent Grant Experimentation as Evidence for Nonobviousness under U.S. Patent Law, GRUR International 4 (2013) 328-332.
- Haug, E. Claim Construction and Phillips -- The 'Ordinary and Customary Meaning', in How to Prepare & Conduct Markman Hearings 2006 (PLI, Course Handbook Series 2006).
- Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (2006)
- Haug, E., Roger W. Parkhurst & William C. Conner, Demonstration of a Direct and Cross-Examination of a Technical Expert Contending for Obviousness, in Patent Litigation 2004 (PLI, Course Handbook Series 2004).
- Haug, E. Markman and the Use of Demonstrative Exhibits, in How to Prepare & Conduct Markman Hearings, 2001 (PLI, Course Handbook Series 2001).
- Haug, E. & Steven B. Pokotilow, Opening Statements - Demonstrations and Panel Critique, in Patent Litigation, 1997 (PLI, Course Handbook Series 1997 - Volume One).
- Haug, E. & Steven B. Pokotilow, Considerations in Crafting An Opening Statement, in Patent Litigation, 1996 (PLI, Course Handbook Series 1996 - Volume One).
- Haug, E. Discovery and Related Motion Practice, Winning Strategies in Patent Litigation, 1995 (PLI, Course Handbook Series 1995 - Volume One).
- "Claim Construction and Doctrine of Equivalents - a Comparison Between Germany, Japan and U.S.A." Boehmert & Boehmert IP Seminar, July 6, 2017
- "America Invents Act (AIA): The Effect on Patent Infringement Litigation", Boehmert & Boehmert IP Seminar, July 5, 2017
- "Intellectual Property Adjunction-The View from the Bench", Federal Circuit Bar Association Global Series Event, Paris, France, October 13, 2016
- "Claim Construction and Doctrine of Equivalents - a Comparison Between Germany, Japan and U.S.A." Boehmert & Boehmert IP Seminar, July 7, 2016
- "America Invents Act (AIA): The Effect on Patent Infringement Litigation", Boehmert & Boehmert IP Seminar, July 6, 2016
- "Claim Construction and Doctrine of Equivalents - a Comparison Between Germany, Japan and U.S.A." Boehmert & Boehmert IP Seminar, July 2, 2015
- "America Invents Act (AIA): The Effect on Patent Infringement Litigation", Boehmert & Boehmert IP Seminar, July 1, 2015
- "The En-Banc Panel - The Courts: The Role of the Judge", Federal Circuit Bar Association International Series 2014: Geneva - Systems, Challenges, Solutions: Trade, Intellectual Property, Courts, and Governance, Geneva, Switzerland, October 20-21, 2014
- "Intellectual Property from the Trenches", Trans-Pacific Health Sciences Dialogue Conference, Philadelphia, PA, September 3, 2014
- "Patent Enforcement Strategy", High Technology Protection Summit, University of Washington, CASRIP, July 2014
- "America Invents Act (AIA): The Effect on Patent Infringement Litigation", Boehmert & Boehmert IP Training Seminar, Vier Jahreszeiten, Munich, Germany, July 2, 2014
- "Show Me the Data! Threshold Patent Application Disclosure Requirements and Post-Filing Evidence Admissibility in the U.S., Europe, Canada, and China", 2014 BIO International Conference, San Diego, CA, June 2014
- "Global IP Challenge and Trends Impacting the Automotive Industry", LES International Conference, Moscow, May 19, 2014
- "Key Developments in Patent Litigation in Japan, U.S., Europe/Germany", Tokyo University of Science, Tokyo, Japan, April 2014
- "Case Management in Patent Litigation Under Local Patent Rules", 2014 Advanced Complex Litigation Series, Patent Litigation in New York Courts: A View From the Bench, NYU Law School, March 2014
- "Recent IP Related Legislation", 2013 International Series: Korea-US IP Judicial Conference, October 2013
- "America Invents Act (AIA): The Effect on Patent Infringement Litigation", Boehmert & Washington International Series, Washington DC, May 2013
- Advanced Complex Litigation, Seton Hall Law School, May 2013
- CASRIP, Seattle, WA, July 2012
- "America Invents Act: The Effect of the AIA on Patent Infringement Litigation," Boehmert & Boehmert IP Training Seminar. Vier Jahreszeiten, Munich, Germany, July 2-7, 2012
- "Written Description, Utility Model, Validity, and Proof of Infringement in IP Adjudication," US-China Intellectual Property Adjudication Conference, Renmin University, Beijing, China, May 28-30, 2012
- GRUR Conference, Frankfurt
- GRUR Conference at European Patent Office, December 2012
- ACI Hatch-Waxman Conference, Program Chair
- "Intellectual Property," U.S.-Japan Business Council Annual Meeting. Tokyo, Japan, October 6, 2008
- "Procedural Differences in Europe and the US," IQPC's 4th Annual Conference on Polymorphism, Frankfurt, Germany, May 28, 2008
- Intellectual Property Seminar, Qingdao, China, April 24-25, 2008
- Bear Stearns Annual Health Care Convention, London, England, March 11, 2008
- Pharmaceutical Services, Ramsey, New Jersey, September 19, 2007
- "The Impact of IP on Corporate Transactions," Law Seminars International's Conference, Dec. 6, 2006
- New York SuperLawyers® Metro Edition, 2006-present
- Av Preeminent® Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- The National Association of Distinguished Counsel - Nation's Top One Percent
- Chambers USA
- University of Notre Dame, (B.S., Chem. Eng., 1974), Ford Merit Scholar
- University of Exeter, England
- St. John's University, J.D., 1978)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Federal Circuit Bar Association, Past-President
- American Bar Association
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Patent and Trademark Association
- Member of New Jersey Advisory Patent Rules Committee