Bill’s experience in the defense industry and as a U.S. patent examiner provides valuable insight in appreciating his clients’ needs and guiding them to protect and preserve their intellectual property.
William S. Frommer is one of the founding partners of Haug Partners, formerly known as Frommer Lawrence & Haug LLP and is based in its New York office. He has extensive experience in all aspects of patent and trademark law and particular expertise in electronics, computers, and software. He has been annually selected for Who's Who in America, Who's Who in American Law, and Who's Who in the World for 30 years. He has earned recognition as a SuperLawyer in the New York metro area for the last decade. In 2015, Mr. Frommer became one of America’s Most Honored Professionals.
Mr. Frommer represents major national and international corporations in the biotechnology, electronics, software, and computer industries. Mr. Frommer is involved with counseling and licensing, and supervises a large international patent and trademark preparation practice. He has expertise in helping clients achieve favorable settlements in complex litigation matters as an alternative to costly and lengthy trials, and provides strategic advice to emerging companies as they seek capital and develop and license new technology. As trademark counsel, Mr. Frommer has represented and successfully resolved disputes for clients in such diverse fields as confectionery, fashion design, and pharmaceuticals.
Mr. Frommer has been a faculty member of, contributor to and annual speaker at the Practicing Law Institute since 2006. He has lectured in the United States, France, Japan, and China on legal points of interest and new developments in the United States patent law and was a presenter at the Sony World Patent Attorneys Conference in Tokyo, Dec. 14, 2000, "U.S. Patent Standards."
Prior to the founding of Frommer Lawrence & Haug LLP, Mr. Frommer was a partner for more than twenty years in another intellectual property law firm where he had been a member of the executive committee and the firm chairman.
- Mr. Frommer worked as an avionics and computer design engineer with Bendix Corporation and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology before he joined the United States Patent and Trademark Office as a patent examiner in the digital communications arts.
- The technological areas in which Mr. Frommer has substantial experience as a patent attorney are:
- Digital communications;
- Internet systems and protocols;
- Digital imaging and display systems;
- Professional and home video recording systems;
- Advanced television systems;
- Video gaming systems;
- Cinemagraphic recording and editing systems;
- International news gathering, editing and broadcasting systems;
- High voltage power transmission and rating systems;
- Anti-counterfeiting and piracy systems;
- Medical devices;
- Speech synthesis and analysis systems;
- …….and others.
- PLI Lecturer, Fundamentals of Patent Prosecution 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Faculty Member, PLI, A Boot Camp for Claim Drafting, 2006-2013
- Sony World Patent Attorneys Conference, "U.S. Patent Standards" Dec. 14, 2000
- SuperLawyers® Metro Edition, 2006-present
- AV Preeminent® Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- America's Most Honored Professionals, 2015
- Cornell University, (B.E.E, 1965 – nominated to the eta kappa nu honor society)
- The American University, (J.D., 1969)
- The American University Law Review, 1967-1969
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- New York
- New York State, and American Bar Associations
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- International Trademark Association (INTA)