"Ben Natter is highly respected by sources – one of whom places him among ‘the most effective trademark lawyers I have worked with anywhere’, adding that his ‘ability to cut through processes and procedure is uncanny.’’’ - 2019 Who's Who Legal: Trademarks
“Ben Natter makes it his mission to understand the business objectives of his clients – and ensures that all his associates and foreign correspondents do as well. A first-class problem solver in the context of international brand disputes, he has been taking over work from major global firms because of the personal attention he gives matters and the finesse that he applies to every task...”
- The 2020 World Trademark Review
Ben’s practice focuses on all aspects of global trademark strategy, procurement, management and enforcement. Ben tailors client-specific approaches for protection of intellectual property rights around the world. On any given day, Ben’s work will see him enforcing clients’ rights in jurisdictions spanning the globe in conjunction with local authorities, courts and a cultivated team of local counsel.
Ben draws upon years of experience developing and implementing strategies for the protection and management of global intellectual property portfolios and creating and effectuating tailored anti-counterfeiting programs for numerous famous brands. He is frequently called on to represent clients in high-profile international brand disputes.
Ben’s specialties also include intellectual property transactions and related aspects of mergers and acquisitions, licensing, copyright prosecution and enforcement, global online marketplace infringement matters and anti-counterfeiting, domain name disputes and social media infringement.
Protection of intellectual property rights in complex regions is amongst Ben’s subspecialties, and he has achieved considerable success and recognition in connection with his work in Latin America and China.
Ben represents domestic and international clients, including world-famous brands and market leaders, from a broad range of industries with a large client base from the technology, fashion, retail, consumer goods, software, hospitality, entertainment and media fields.
Ben is regularly recognized for his novel and effective strategies and has received awards from numerous international publications in the field of intellectual property. Additionally, Ben’s high-profile infringement cases have been considered newsworthy and reported by domestic and international news outlets.
- 2016-2021 World Trademark Review 1000 for Trademark Prosecution and Enforcement
- 2021 International Law Office/Lexology Client Choice Award
- 2018-2021 World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR) Leaders
- 2017-2021 Who's Who Legal: Trademarks
- 2016-2021 Martindale-Hubbell Platinum Client Champion Award
- 2021 Patexia Top 100 Trademark Attorney
- 2017-2021 SuperLawyers® Intellectual Property Rising Stars
- 2021 JD Supra Readers' Choice Awards for Trademarks
- The 2021 World Trademark Review: “A deeply knowledgeable and commercial lawyer who efficiently overcomes all obstacles to rights protection…he takes good care of the human aspect of the client-lawyer relationship and acts like an extension of in-house teams; the quality of his work is brilliant, too. He has been steadily expanding the firm’s trademark and unfair competition practice since joining in 2017, making Haug Partners a popular name in Latin America and China – two regions in which he has cultivated ample experience implementing trademark initiatives.”
- “Ben Natter is a trademark dynamo-he gets the business of brands, makes great international connections, focuses on client service and gets things done. His globetrotting practice sees him managing portfolios, overseeing sweeping anti-counterfeiting efforts and more on behalf of top brands.”
- The 2020 World Trademark Review: “Ben Natter makes it his mission to understand the business objectives of his clients – and ensures that all his associates and foreign correspondents do as well. A first-class problem solver in the context of international brand disputes, he has been taking over work from major global firms because of the personal attention he gives matters and the finesse that he applies to every task. Haug Partners is his base of operations.”
- “Protecting well-known brands the world over is Ben Natter’s métier. His ability to select the best foreign associates and motivate them to provide the same level of personal care and attention to matters as he does is exemplary.”
- 2020 Who's Who Legal: Trademarks: “Ben Natter is ‘a brilliant and highly effective trademark lawyer’, applauded for ‘his great ability to navigate processes and procedure"’.
- The 2019 World Trademark Review: “Ben Natter can rationalise his understanding of clients’ key commercial and legal concerns into efficient, clear and business-focused analysis and advice. He is technically very sharp, speedy and cost efficient, too.” The Haug Partners lawyer performs at a high level, advising on global strategy then procuring and enforcing trademarks.
- The 2018 World Trademark Review: “He consistently provides a hands-on, personal touch and addresses all questions quickly. He has insight gleaned from many years of practical experience and develops close, trusting relationships. Organised and diligent, he takes the initiative to address your most urgent needs.”
- Who's Who Legal: Trademarks – 2018: "The ‘awesome’ Ben Natter at Haug Partners is one of the leading figures in the market. His ‘strong industry knowledge and commerciality’ makes him a favourite among major clients in the fashion and technology spaces."
- The 2017 World Trademark Review: “Fashion and technology clients queue up to instruct Haug Partners' Ben Natter. ‘Highly skilled in the practical issues regarding prosecution, he is also heavily involved in international anti-counterfeiting efforts and in taking down trademark squatters. He has a real hands-on, tailored approach and meticulous attention to detail.’”
- Who's Who Legal: Trademarks – 2017: "Ben Natter receives widespread acclaim for his hands-on approach, steadfast competence and knowledge in the field."
- The 2016 World Trademark Review: “…Ben Natter is ‘extremely professional, knowledgeable within his domain, attentive to clients’ needs, friendly and easy to work with’; he has enviable experience before the TTAB.”
- Seton Hall University School of Law, (J.D., Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law)
- Union College, (B.A.)
- New York and New Jersey
- US District Courts: Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York and New Jersey
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Right of Publicity Committee (2022-2023); Harmonization of Trademark Law and Practice Committee (2018-2021)
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI), Industrial Design and Trade Dress Working Committee
- Pharmaceutical Trade Marks Group (PTMG)
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association (NYIPLA), Trademark Law Committee and Publications Committee
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), International IP Law Committee and Fashion Law Committee
- Natter, Ben, et al. “The Move to the Metaverse and beyond Series: Basic Trademark and Branding Considerations.” Haug Partners, 2 Nov. 2021, https://www.haugpartners.com/article/the-move-to-the-metaverse-and-beyond-series-basic-trademark-and-branding-considerations/.
- Natter, Ben, and Michael Barer. “Third Circuit Rules That Trademark Cancellation Proceedings before the TTAB Do Not Preclude Later Infringement Lawsuits in Federal Court.” Haug Partners, 28 Oct. 2021, https://www.haugpartners.com/article/third-circuit-rules-that-trademark-cancellation-proceedings-before-the-ttab-do-not-preclude-later-infringement-lawsuits-in-federal-court/.
- Natter, Ben. “Marketing NIL Rights in an NFT World.” Who's Who Legal, 30 July 2021, https://whoswholegal.com/features/marketing-nil-rights-in-an-nft-world.
- Natter, Ben, and Audrey Sparschu. “Valuation of NFTs: Factors to Consider and an Alternative to Destroying the Original Work.” Haug Partners, 28 July 2021, https://www.haugpartners.com/article/valuation-of-nfts-factors-to-consider-and-an-alternative-to-destroying-the-original-work/.
- Natter, Ben, and Audrey Sparschu. “The Current Status of NIL Rights and a Review of NFT Trends.” Haug Partners, 16 Apr. 2021, www.haugpartners.com/article/the-current-status-of-nil-rights-and-a-review-of-nft-trends/.
- Natter, Ben, and Benjamin Dahl. “The Supreme Court Says That Google's Use of Oracle's Copyrighted Software Was Fair Use, Reversing Federal Circuit.” Haug Partners, 7 Apr. 2021, www.haugpartners.com/article/the-supreme-court-says-that-googles-use-of-oracles-copyrighted-software-was-fair-use-reversing-federal-circuit/.
- Natter, Ben, and Keelan Diana. “In QuikTrip West., Inc. v. Weigel Stores, Inc., the Federal Circuit Clarifies the Importance of the First DuPont Factor in Weighing Likelihood of Confusion.” Haug Partners, 3 Feb. 2021, www.haugpartners.com/article/in-quiktrip-west-inc-v-weigel-stores-inc-the-federal-circuit-clarifies-the-importance-of-the-first-dupont-factor-in-weighing-likelihood-of-confusion/.
- Natter, Ben, and Camille Turner. “The Impact of COVID-19 and Accelerated Growth of E-Commerce on Gray Market Sales.” Haug Partners, 7 Jan. 2021, www.haugpartners.com/article/the-impact-of-covid-19-and-accelerated-growth-of-e-commerce-on-gray-market-sales/.
- Natter, Ben, and Benjamin Dahl. “New USPTO Government Fees for 2021.” Haug Partners, 18 Nov. 2020, www.haugpartners.com/article/new-uspto-government-fees-for-2021/.
- Natter, Ben, and Jessica Sblendorio . “Artificial Intelligence and Its Impact On The Fashion Industry: Contemporary Legal Considerations.” Haug Partners, 9 Oct. 2020, www.haugpartners.com/article/artificial-intelligence-and-its-impact-on-the-fashion-industry/.
- Natter, Ben, and Kyle Koemm. “Apple Inc. v. Voip-Pal.com, Inc., No. 18-1456, 2020 U.S. App. LEXIS 30820 (Fed. Cir. Sept. 25, 2020).” Haug Partners, 7 Oct. 2020, www.haugpartners.com/article/apple-inc-v-voip-pal-com-inc-no-18-1456-2020-u-s-app-lexis-30820-fed-cir-sept-25-2020/.
- Natter, Ben, “Significant Trademark Decisions in 2017: Free Speech Trumps Lanham Act’s Restrictions on Disparaging and Scandalous Trademarks,” Who’s Who Legal, July 2018, http://whoswholegal.com/news/features/article/34663/significant-trademark-decisions-2017-free-speech-trumps-lanham-acts-restrictions-disparaging-scandalous-trademarks.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “An Interesting Year on the Horizon: What to Watch in 2018,” IP Watchdog, 3 January 2018, http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2018/01/03/what-to-watch-2018/id=91044/.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “The Federal Circuit Holds that the Ban on Scandalous or Immoral Trademarks is Unconstitutional,” NYIPLA The Report, Winter 2017-2018, https://www.nyipla.org/nyipla/TheReport.asp.
- Natter, Ben, “‘Intent to Use’ and US Trademark Filing Based on Foreign Registration,” Luxury Law Alliance, 9 October 2017, http://www.luxurylawalliance.com/news-features/intent-to-use-and-us-trademark-filing-based-on-foreign-registration/2017675542.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “Trends in Copyright Litigation for Tattoos,” IPWatchdog, 11 September 2017, http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2017/09/11/trends-copyright-litigation-tattoos/id=87607/.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “USPTO Navigates New Territory In The Wake of Matal v. Tam,” IPWatchdog, 17 August 2017, http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2017/08/17/uspto-navigates-matal-v-tam/id=86961/.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “Matal v. Tam: The death knell of the Lanham Act’s Disparagement Clause and implications for the fashion industry,” Luxury Law Alliance , 21 July 2017, http://www.luxurylawalliance.com/news-features/matal-v-tam-the-death-knell-of-the-lanham-acts-disparagement-clause-and-implications-for-the-fashion-industry/152122582.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “A Balancing Act: Fair Use and Creative Content,” 28 NYSBA Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Journal 35, no. 2, Summer 2017, https://haugpartners.com/app/uploads/2017/07/A-Balancing-Act-by-RP-BN-JS.pdf.