“’Ben Natter can rationalise his understanding of clients’ key commercial and legal concerns into efficient, clear and business-focused analysis and advice. He is technically very sharp, speedy and cost efficient, too.’ The Haug Partners lawyer performs at a high level, advising on global strategy then procuring and enforcing trademarks.”
- The 2019 World Trademark Review
Ben Natter is a partner in the New York office of Haug Partners LLP.
Ben’s practice focuses on all aspects of global trademark strategy, procurement, management and enforcement. Ben implements client-specific approaches for protection of intellectual property rights around the world. On any given day, Ben’s work will find him enforcing client rights throughout countries spanning the globe with local authorities, courts and associates.
Ben draws on years of experience developing and managing global intellectual property portfolios and creating and effectuating tailored anti-counterfeiting programs for numerous well-known brands.
Ben’s specialties also include copyright prosecution and enforcement, global online marketplace infringement matters, domain disputes, UDRP proceedings, GTLD matters, DMCA matters and social media infringement.
Ben has clients from a broad range of industries with a large client base from the technology, fashion and entertainment fields.
- 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 World Trademark Review 1000 for Trademark Prosecution and Enforcement
- The 2019 World Trademark Review: “Ben Natter can rationalise his understanding of clients’ key commercial and legal concerns into efficient, clear and business-focused analysis and advice. He is technically very sharp, speedy and cost efficient, too.” The Haug Partners lawyer performs at a high level, advising on global strategy then procuring and enforcing trademarks.
- The 2018 World Trademark Review: “He consistently provides a hands-on, personal touch and addresses all questions quickly. He has insight gleaned from many years of practical experience and develops close, trusting relationships. Organised and diligent, he takes the initiative to address your most urgent needs.”
- The 2017 World Trademark Review: “Fashion and technology clients queue up to instruct Haug Partners' Ben Natter. ‘Highly skilled in the practical issues regarding prosecution, he is also heavily involved in international anti-counterfeiting efforts and in taking down trademark squatters. He has a real hands-on, tailored approach and meticulous attention to detail.’”
- 2018 and 2019 World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR) Leaders
- 2017 and 2018 Who's Who Legal: Trademarks – Who's Who Legal says this about Ben: "The ‘awesome’ Ben Natter at Haug Partners is one of the leading figures in the market. His ‘strong industry knowledge and commerciality’ makes him a favourite among major clients in the fashion and technology spaces."
- 2017 Who's Who Legal: "Ben Natter receives widespread acclaim for his hands-on approach, steadfast competence and knowledge in the field."
- 2017 and 2018 SuperLawyers® Intellectual Property Rising Stars
- 2018 and 2019 Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion Platinum Award
- 2017 Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion Silver Award
- 2016 Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award
- The 2016 World Trademark Review said this about Ben: "…Ben Natter is ‘extremely professional, knowledgeable within his domain, attentive to clients’ needs, friendly and easy to work with’; he has enviable experience before the TTAB.”
- Seton Hall University School of Law, (J.D., Intellectual Property and Entertainment Law)
- Union College, (B.A.)
- New York and New Jersey
- US District Courts: Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York and New Jersey
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Harmonization of Trademark Law and Practice Committee
- Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI), Industrial Design and Trade Dress Working Committee
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association (NYIPLA), Trademark Law Committee and Publications Committee
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA), International IP Law Committee and Fashion Law Committee
- Luxury Law Alliance
- The Manhattan Childrens Center of New York, Leadership Council
- Natter, Ben, “Significant Trademark Decisions in 2017: Free Speech Trumps Lanham Act’s Restrictions on Disparaging and Scandalous Trademarks,” Who’s Who Legal, July 2018, http://whoswholegal.com/news/features/article/34663/significant-trademark-decisions-2017-free-speech-trumps-lanham-acts-restrictions-disparaging-scandalous-trademarks.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “An Interesting Year on the Horizon: What to Watch in 2018,” IP Watchdog, 3 January 2018, http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2018/01/03/what-to-watch-2018/id=91044/.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “The Federal Circuit Holds that the Ban on Scandalous or Immoral Trademarks is Unconstitutional,” NYIPLA The Report, Winter 2017-2018, https://www.nyipla.org/nyipla/TheReport.asp.
- Natter, Ben, “‘Intent to Use’ and US Trademark Filing Based on Foreign Registration,” Luxury Law Alliance, 9 October 2017, http://www.luxurylawalliance.com/news-features/intent-to-use-and-us-trademark-filing-based-on-foreign-registration/2017675542.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “Trends in Copyright Litigation for Tattoos,” IPWatchdog, 11 September 2017, http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2017/09/11/trends-copyright-litigation-tattoos/id=87607/.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “USPTO Navigates New Territory In The Wake of Matal v. Tam,” IPWatchdog, 17 August 2017, http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2017/08/17/uspto-navigates-matal-v-tam/id=86961/.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “Matal v. Tam: The death knell of the Lanham Act’s Disparagement Clause and implications for the fashion industry,” Luxury Law Alliance , 21 July 2017, http://www.luxurylawalliance.com/news-features/matal-v-tam-the-death-knell-of-the-lanham-acts-disparagement-clause-and-implications-for-the-fashion-industry/152122582.
- Natter, Ben, et al. “A Balancing Act: Fair Use and Creative Content,” 28 NYSBA Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Journal 35, no. 2, Summer 2017, https://www.haugpartners.com/app/uploads/2017/07/A-Balancing-Act-by-RP-BN-JS.pdf.