Gregory B. Sephton, Ph.D.Partner
Gregory B. Sephton, Ph.D., has over 25 years of experience in high stakes litigation, and has represented numerous leaders in pharma and biopharma industries. Greg also counsels commercial products and emerging companies on protecting their intellectual property.
Gregory B. Sephton, Ph.D. is a Partner in the New York office of Haug Partners LLP. His litigation background covers diverse technologies involving medical devices, chemicals, pharmaceuticals and biologicals. Greg also advises cosmetics companies and obtained patent protection for their products.
He has extensive experience litigating billion dollar pharmaceutical and biotechnology patent cases, winning cases in federal district courts and at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Greg also has in-depth experience under the Hatch-Waxman Act, litigating patents for antivirals hypnotics, anti-fungals, anti-bacterials, anti-ulcer drugs, along with various oral, intravenous and liposomal drug formulation technologies. He also has considerable involvement in intellectual property counseling, due diligence, and transactions. Gregory advises clients on trade secret protection, patent strategy, as well as on ex parte and inter partes patent re-examinations.
Gregory led Forward Pharma to a $1.25 billion settlement in its worldwide patent dispute with Biogen over rights to its Tecfidera® (multiple sclerosis) treatment.
Prior to joining Haug Partners LLP, Gregory was a Partner at Pierce Bainbridge and previously Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP. Before that he was a partner at Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto (now Venable).
- Warner Chilcott versus Actavis, Heritage, Impax, Mylan and Sandoz on formulations for Doryx® brand doxycycline hyclate tablets.
- Sanofi-Aventis against Barr, Mutual, Synthon and Watson relating to formulations for Ambien CR® (zolpidem)
- Novartis versus Barr, Watson and Dr. Reddy’s on patents for the Alzheimer’s drug Exelon® (rivastigmine).
- KOS Pharmaceuticals against Bar on patents for KOS’ Niaspan® anti-cholesterol drug.
- AstraZeneca in multi-district litigation involving the anti-ulcer drug, PRILOSEC® (omeprazole).
- Bausch & Lomb in Bausch & Lomb v. Alcon and Bausch & Lomb v. Allergan (contact lens care products).
- Emory University in Emory University v. Glaxo-Wellcome and Emory University v. BioChem Pharma and Glaxo-Wellcome (lamivudine).
- The Liposome Co. in The Regents of the University of Texas v. The Liposome Company involving (ABELCET®).
- Representation of Forward Pharma in patent dispute with Biogen over rights to its Tecfidera® multiple sclerosis treatment, yielding a settlement that included a $1.25 billion non-refundable payment to Forward Pharma.
- Represented Merck in a bench trial against Xellia Pharmaceuticals, obtaining a judgment of infringement of a patent relating to caspofungin (Cancidas)
- Representation of AstraZeneca in its Hatch-Waxman litigations pertaining to its anti-ulcer medication, Prilosec®, obtaining a judgment that lifted the client’s stock price more than 10%.
- Defended Sanofi in a patent litigation brought by Genentech relating to fusion proteins that inhibit angiogensis, achieving a settlement that allowed the launch of the Eylea (aflibercept) macular degeneration biologic.
- Defended Bristol-Myers in a litigation brought by the Regents of the University of Michigan and Repligen Corporation regarding Orencia® (abatacept), a rheumatoid arthritis biologic.
- 40948, BPCIA Questions Continue To Arise For Biosimilar Applicants (July 24, 2017)
- 40948, Supreme Court Denies Certiorari in Sequenom v. Ariosa (June 28, 2016)
- May 14, 2019 -Webinar for The Knowledge Group “Subject Matter Patentability of Method of Treatment” -- Recent Federal Circuit ANDA Cases presented at Paragraph IV Challenges: Exploring Emerging Trends and Developments Subject Matter Patentability of Method of Treatment -- Recent Federal Circuit ANDA Cases
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D.
- Brandeis University, Ph.D.
- University of Toronto, B.Sc. Hons.
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- State Bar of New York
- American Intellectual Property Association
- New York Intellectual Property Association