Ms. Zafonte’s oral and written advocacy was put to use immediately after graduating law school—she first chaired her first trial only months after passing the bar exam. But rather than just “peaking early,” she continued to further hone the skills key to a successful litigator under some of New York City’s most prominent attorneys and in front of its most prestigious judges.
Jessica Zafonte is a senior associate in Haug Partners’ New York office where her practice is focused on patent litigation and Inter Partes Review. Ms. Zafonte has litigated in Federal courts and before the ITC and PTAB, providing her with a broad procedural experience base. Ms. Zafonte routinely analyzes, drafts, and argues on issues of patent infringement, invalidity, damages, and claim construction, and counsels clients on same, with technical experience spanning pharmaceutical, medical, electrical, and mechanical devices, and computer hardware/software. Ms. Zafonte is experienced at managing large and small scale litigations, including devising creative legal strategies and developing and implementing successful and cost effective discovery. Ms. Zafonte routinely oversees teams of attorneys, staff, and experts. Prior to joining private practice, Ms. Zafonte was an Assistant District Attorney in Kings County where she tried criminal cases, engaged in motion practice, and negotiated plea bargains.
- RSA Protective Technologies, LLC v. Secure USA, Inc. and Guardiar Solutions, Inc., 18-cv-81124 (S.D. Fla.)
- RSA Protective Technologies, LLC v. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, et al., 18-cv-09960 (S.D.N.Y)
- RSA Protective Technologies, LLC v. Delta Scientific Corp., 19-cv-06024 (C.D. Cal.)
- Shire Development LLC et al. v. Amneal Pharmaceuticals, LLC et al., 15-cv-02865 (D.N.J)
- Shire Pharmaceutical Development Inc. et al. v. Lupin Limited et al., 15-cv-03437 ( D. Md.)
- Chiesi USA, Inc. et al. v. Sandoz Inc. et al., 13-5723 (D.N.J.)
- Cornerstone Therapeutics Inc. et al. v. Exela Pharma Sciences LLC et al., 13-1275 (D. Del.)
- In re Bendamustine Consolidated Cases, 13-cv-2046 (D. Del.)
- Millennium Pharmaceuticals Inc. v. Fresenius Kabi USA LLC et al., 13-cv-00467 (D. Del.)
- iHance, Inc. v. Eloqua Ltd. and Eloqua Corp., 11-cv-257 (E.D. Va.)
- Saphia, Joseph, and Jessica Zafonte. “Federal Circuit Affirms PTAB Finding of Patent Ineligibility: a ‘New or Different Use of a Mathematical Process’ Is Still a Mathematical Process and Patent Ineligible under § 101 and Alice.” Haug Partners, 1 Apr. 2021, www.haugpartners.com/article/federal-circuit-affirms-ptab-finding-of-patent-ineligibility/
- Zafonte, Jessica. “Threshold Issues, Misdirected Lawyering, and a Frustrated Federal Circuit.” Haug Partners, 30 Oct. 2020, www.haugpartners.com/article/threshold-issues-misdirected-lawyering-and-a-frustrated-federal-circuit/.
- Lafayette College, (B.A. Biology, 2006)
- Brooklyn Law School, (J.D., 2009)
- New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Southern District of New York
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- New York Intellectual Property Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- NYC Bar Committee