Mr. Balaes’ experience at the United States Patent and Trademark Office in college inspired him to gain admission to the U.S. Patent Bar and pursue a law degree. He now applies his patent prosecution and chemistry background to a wide range of patent litigations, including computer technology and pharmaceutical matters.
John Balaes is an associate at the New York office of Haug Partners, where he focuses his practice in patent litigation and has worked on pharmaceutical, corporate, and technology matters. In addition, Mr. Balaes has experience in patent prosecution and with inter partes review proceedings. He served as an editor on the International Law Journal and received his J.D. from Cornell Law School with a concentration in business law and regulation. While obtaining his B.A. cum laude from Rutgers University, Mr. Balaes externed in the semiconductors art unit at the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Herstoff, Jonathan, and John Balaes. “Supreme Court Clarifies Patent-Exhaustion Doctrine.” Haug Partners LLP, Haug Partners LLP, 30 May 2017, www.haugpartners.com/article/summary-impression-prods-inc-v-lexmark-intl-inc/.
- Rutgers University, (B.A., Chemistry, 2012)
- Cornell Law School, (J.D., 2016)
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- District of New Jersey
- New York State
- New Jersey State Court
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association