Joseph V. Saphia is an IP attorney specializing in patent and trademark litigation and procurement. Joe brings his educational background in pharmacy and pharmacology, prior business experience, and twenty years of legal experience to fashion solutions for our clients. He serves on Haug Partners’ Executive Committee and is recognized as an IP STAR by Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars (United States).
Joseph V. Saphia is an Intellectual Property Partner in the firm's New York City office. Joseph's practice has a particular emphasis on patent and trademark procurement and litigation. Joseph leads the Trademark and Unfair Practice Group, and is a member of the Hatch-Waxman and Litigation Practice Groups. Throughout his career, Joseph has represented a wide range of clients, including technology start-up companies and international pharmaceutical and consumer goods companies. In addition to patent and trademark litigation, he has prosecuted patents and authored opinions of counsel in various technical fields including: chemical compounds, pharmaceutical formulations, methods of treatment, biological products, methods of producing biologics, genetically modified plants, methods used in genetic modifications, food products, manufacturing processes, electrical devices, software systems, and graphic user interfaces.
- Shire Pharmaceutical Development Inc. et al v. Amneal Pharmaceuticals LLC et al, No. 1:15-cv-02865 (D. N.J.)
- Shire Pharmaceutical Development Inc. et al v. Lupin Limited et al, No. 8:15-cv-03437 (D. M.D.)
- ADP Dealer Services, Inc. v. Suggs, No. 1:14-cv-00631 (W.D. T.X.)
- Iceland Health, Inc. v. Icelandirect, Inc. et al, No. 1:13-cv-00681 (S.D. N.Y.)
- Accuhire.com Corp. v. CVS Caremark Corp., No. 4:12-cv-00693 (W.D. M.O.)
- Amphenol Corp. et al v. PCT International, Inc., No. 3:12-cv-01468 (D. C.T.)
- Astronics Advanced Electronics Systems Corp. v. Lufthansa Technik AG, No. 2:12-cv-00776 (W.D. N.Y.)
- Bahlsen GmbH & Co., KG v. Square Enterprises Corp., No. 1:12-cv-03165 (S.D. N.Y.)
- Bahlsen GmbH & Co. KG v. Stark Foods Inc., No. 1:12-cv-06458 (S.D. N.Y.)
- Consulting Services, LLC v. PJW Nursing Consultants, LLC, No. 3:12-cv-01294 (D. C.T.)
- GeoTag, Inc. v. American Eagle Outfitters Inc., No. 2:12-cv-00438 (E.D. T.X.)
- GeoTag, Inc. v. Citi Trends Inc., No. 2:12-cv-00449 (E.D. T.X.)
- In re Astronics Advanced Electronic Systems Corp., No. 1:12-cv-02210 (E.D. N.Y.)
- Polylok, Inc. et al v. Bear Onsite, LLC et al, No. 3:12-cv-00535 (D. C.T)
- Shire Development LLC et al v. Mylan Pharmaceuticals, Inc. et al, No. 8:12-cv-01190 (M.D. F.L.)
- Shire Development LLC et al v. Osmotica Pharmaceutical Corp., No. 1:12-cv-00904 (N.D. G.A.)
- Whitehaus Collection v. Barclay Products, Limited et al, No. 1:12-cv-00373 (N.D. I.L.)
- GeoTag Inc. v. Circle K Stores, Inc., No. 2:11-cv-00405 (E.D. T.X.)
- Lufthansa Technik AG v. Astronics Advanced Electronic Systems, No. 1:11-cv-00628 (W.D. N.Y.)
- Nord-Lock, Inc. et al v. Heico Fasteners, Inc. et al, No. 1:11-cv-02725 (N.D. I.L.)
- Polylok Inc. et al v. Bear Onsite, LLC et al, No. 3:11-cv-01704 (D. C.T.)
- Shire LLC et al v. Amneal Pharmaceuticals, LLC, No. 2:11-cv-03781 (D. N.J.)
- Shire LLC et al v. Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc. et al, No. 1:11-cv-00055 (D. N.J.)
- Shire LLC et al v. Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc. et al, No. 1:11-cv-00201 (D. N.J.)
- Shire LLC et al v. Sandoz Inc., No. 3:11-cv-03787 (D. N.J.)
- Whitehaus Collection v. Barclay Products, Limited et al, No. 1:11-cv-00217 (N.D. I.L.)
- Wizard Publications, Inc. v. Churchill Downs Inc. et al, No. 3:11-cv-00999 (D. C.T.)
- Alere, Inc., et al. v. Church & Dwight Co., Inc., No. 1:10-cv-10027 (D. M.A.)
- Magnolia Operating, LLC v. Appel et al, No. 1:10-cv-09312 (S.D. N.Y.)
- Shire Development LLC et al v. Cadila Healthcare Limited et al, No. 1:10-cv-00581 (D. D.E.)
- Shire LLC et al v. IMPAX Laboratories, Inc. et al, No. 3:10-cv-05467 (N.D. C.A.)
- Sint, LLC et al v. Macy's Merchandising Group, Inc. et al, No. 1:10-cv-03982 (S.D. N.Y.)
- Sint, LLC et al v. Natura World Inc., No. 1:10-cv-03542 (S.D. N.Y.)
- Touchnet Information Systems, Inc. v. Higher One, Inc., No. 2:10-cv-02545 (D. K.S.)
- Briese Lichttechnik Verttriebs GmbH v. Langton et al, No. 1:09-cv-07279 (S.D. N.Y.)
- Higher One Inc. v. Touchnet Info Systems Inc., No. 3:09-cv-00337 (D. C.T.)
- Somanetics Corp. v. CAS Medical Systems, Inc., No. 2:09-cv-13110 (E.D. M.I.)
- Somerset Dental Products Inc. v. Benco Dental Supply Co. et al, No. 1:08-cv-00871 (D. D.E.)
- Pfizer Inc. v. Synthon Holdings BV, et al, No. 1:05-cv-00039 (W.D. P.A.)
- Pfizer Inc. v. Mylan Laboratories, et al, No. 2:02-cv-01628 (W.D. P.A.)
- Saphia, Joseph, and Ben Natter. “Free Speech Trumps The Lanham Act's Disparagement Clause.” Haug Partners LLP, Haug Partners LLP, 19 June 2017, www.haugpartners.com/article/free-speech-trumps-the-lanham-acts-disparagement-clause/.
- Saphia, Joseph, and Bonnie Gaudette. “New Software-Based Patent Claims Are Now Patent-Eligible Under Alice.” Haug Partners LLP, Haug Partners LLP, 1 Nov. 2016, www.haugpartners.com/article/new-software-based-patent-claims-are-now-patent-eligible-under-alice/.
- Saphia, Joseph. “DataTern v. MicroStrategy - A Reasoned Application of Alice.” Haug Partners LLP, Haug Partners LLP, 16 Sept. 2015, www.haugpartners.com/article/datatern-v-microstrategy-a-reasoned-application-of-alice/.
- "USPTO Issues Second Set of Proposed Changes to PTAB Proceedings," Lexology, August 24, 2015.
- "A Good-Faith Belief in Patent Invalidity is No Longer a Defense to Induced Infringement," Lexology, May 26, 2015.
- "Claim Construction Victory for Client Shire," Lexology, March 24, 2015.
- "Inter Partes Review: District Court Surrogate or Patent Office Examination?" Lexology, February 9, 2015.
- "For the First Time Since Alice, the Federal Circuit Upholds the Eligibility of a Software Patent," Lexology, December 5, 2014.
- “What Subject Matter is Patent-Eligible?” Connecticut Law Tribune, October 10, 2011.
- Haug Partners partner Joseph Saphia was quoted in an April 19, 2012 Bloomberg article titled "Gucci Assails Guess for 'Studied Imitations' at Trial about Gucci's final argument in court in a lawsuit claiming that Guess? Inc. copied its trademarked designs.
- "Your Licensing Meeting is Approaching: How to Prepare and Maximize Your Time from a Licensor's Perspective", NewYorkBIO, New York, NY, May 11, 2017
- "Funding Tips for New York Biotech Startups", Moderator, NewYorkBIO Annual Conference Panel Session, New York, NY, May 12, 2016
- St. John's University School of Law
- St. John's University College of Pharmacy, (B.S., Pharmacy); (M.S. Pharmaceutical Science)
- New York
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- New York Intellectual Property Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- New York Bio
- New Jersey Bio
- International Trademark Association