Mr. Basanta’s considerable and varied professional experiences give him a wealth of insight across a wide array of business activities. He brings those insights, as well as sound judgment and a broad skill set, to the work that he does for clients.
Mark Basanta is an associate in the firm’s New York office. Mr. Basanta’s focus includes patent litigation, inter partes reviews, and pre-litigation patent infringement and patent validity opinions.
Before law school, Mr. Basanta spent more than 15 years as a business owner, manager, and employee. He began his career as a design and project engineer in the automation, automotive, and commercial building industries. He then transitioned into a career in information technology and real estate. Mr. Basanta’s considerable and varied professional experiences give him a wealth of insight across a wide array of business activities. He brings those insights, as well as sound judgment and a broad skill set, to the work that he does for clients.
Mr. Basanta graduated with honor from Stevens Institute of Technology with a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering. He attended Seton Hall University School of Law on a Chancellor Scholarship and received his Juris Doctor cum laude with a concentration in Intellectual Property. While in law school, Mr. Basanta was a member of the Seton Hall Legislative Journal and Mock Trial Board, and was recognized for his brief writing.
- Currently defending leading aerial drone manufacturer against non-practicing entity: Weserve Drone, LLC v. SZ DJI Technology Co., Ltd., No. 19-04382 (C.D. Cal. filed May 20, 2019)
- Currently defending innovative medical-device patent owner in inventorship dispute: Barnett v. Surefire Medical, Inc., No. 17-02470 (D. Col. filed Oct. 16, 2017)
- Defended specialty-pharmaceutical-company patent owner in Hatch-Waxman litigation: Medicure Int’l, Inc. v. Gland Pharma Ltd., No. 18-16246 (D.N.J. filed Nov. 16, 2018)
- Defended pharmaceutical patent of major pharmaceutical company: CSL Behring GmbH v. Shire ViroPharma Inc., IPR2017-01512 (filed May 31, 2017)
- Defended pharmaceutical patent of major pharmaceutical company against non-practicing entity: Coalition For Affordable Drugs II LLC v. Cosmo Technologies Ltd., IPR2015-00988 (filed Apr. 1, 2015)
- Represent major consumer electronics manufacturer and major consumer packaging manufacturer for pre-litigation patent non-infringement and patent invalidity opinions
- Represent major medical-device manufacturers for pre-litigation patent non-infringement and patent invalidity opinions
- Stevens Institute of Technology, (B.E., Mechanical Engineering)
- Seton Hall University School of Law, (J.D.)
- New Jersey
- New York
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association