Michael F. Brockmeyer is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Haug Partners. His practice concentrates on antitrust and consumer protection law. He spends substantial time on antitrust litigation, governmental investigations, and counseling a wide array of clients on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, distribution, pharmaceuticals, electronics, health care, insurance. Mr. Brockmeyer is a leading U.S. antitrust practitioner in matters involving the pharmaceutical industry, including litigation, giving advice on the application of the antitrust laws to settlements of pharmaceutical patent cases and intellectual property licensing agreements, and defending governmental investigations.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Brockmeyer served as chair of the Multistate Antitrust Task Force of the National Association of Attorneys General and was a chief of Maryland’s Antitrust Division. He has served as a member of the Executive Working Group for Antitrust consisting of representatives from the Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission, and State Attorneys General.
Mr. Brockmeyer lectures and publishes frequently on antitrust topics. Active in the American Bar Association’s Antitrust Section, he has served as a member of the Section Council for several years, and has been involved in Section activities throughout his professional career. He served on the Antitrust Section’s 1989 Special Committee to study the role of the Federal Trade Commission. He was a member of the Section’s 1993 Special Task Force on Competition Policy. From 1991 until 2016, he served on the Advisory Board of the Antitrust and Trade Regulation Report of the Bureau of National Affairs.
Since 1999, Mr. Brockmeyer has been an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law teaching Antitrust Law.
From 2004 until 2010 and starting again in 2016, Mr. Brockmeyer has been a member of the School Board of Archbishop Curley High School in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Co-author of chapters on Maryland Antitrust Act and Michigan Antitrust Reform Act, ABA antitrust Law Section, State Antitrust Practice and Statutes (2004)
- Author, Chapter on Maryland Antitrust Act, State Antitrust Practice and Statutes, ABA Antitrust Law Section (1999)
- Co-author, with F. Joseph Gormley, “Federal and State Warranty Laws,” 21 ALI-ABA C.M.J. 23 (1997)
- Author, “State Antitrust Law and Antitrust Enforcement by the State Attorneys General,” published in ABA Antitrust Law Section, Antitrust & Trade Associations (1996)
- Co-author, “State Merger Enforcement,” ABA Antitrust Law Section, Monograph 21 (1995)
- “The Monsanto Decision: Has it ‘Spawned Confusion’ in the Courts?” NAAG Antitrust Rep., December 1990-January 1991
- Associate Editor, ABA Antitrust Law Section, State Antitrust Practice and Statutes (1990)
- Co-author, with Ellen S. Cooper, “Health Care: The Next Frontier for State Antitrust Enforcement”,
- “The Chronicle”, ABA Antitrust Law Section (Summer 1990)
- “State Antitrust Enforcement Enters a New Decade - Its Directions and Challenges,” 59 Antitrust L.J. 26 (1990)
- “States and Private Parties Must Be Able to Obtain Divestiture Against Anticompetitive Mergers,” 4 Antitrust 37 (Spring 1990)
- “The Precomplaint Investigation and Pretrial Proceedings in the Commercial General Liability Insurance Antitrust Litigation,” published in Pre-Trial and Pre-Hearing Procedures Worldwide (1990)
- “An Overview of State Consumer Protection Acts,” 14 ALI-ABA C.M.J. 59 (1989)
- “Report on the NAAG Multistate Task Force,” 58 Antitrust L.J. 215 (1989)
- Co-Author with Ellen S. Cooper, “Maryland’s Board Review Program,” 18 J. of Reprints for Antitrust L. Econ. 437 (1988)
- “State Antitrust Enforcement,” 57 Antitrust L.J. 169 (1988)
RECENT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Program: ALI-ABA Course of Study, Product Distribution and Marketing, 1987-Present
- Program: What Every Lawyer Needs to Know About Antitrust Law, DC Bar Continuing Legal Education, September 2010
- Discussant: Federal Trade Commission Workshop on Resale Price Maintenance, February 2009
- Program: Ubiquitous Lifecycle Management Strategies That Withstand Antitrust Attack, ACI 3rd Annual ACI 3rd Annual In-House Counsel Forum on Pharmaceutical Antitrust, May 2007
- Interviewee: Oral History Project on the U.S. Antitrust Laws, April 2007
- DOJ/FTC Workshop on Single Firm Conduct, December 2006
- Overview of the U.S. Antitrust Laws Presentation to Shanghai Municipal Industry and Commerce Administration Delegation, University of Baltimore School of Law, October 2006
- Program: Trilateral Perspective on Patent Protection, Enforcement & Competition Law, U.S. Perspective-Antitrust & Competition Law, Imperial Hotel, Tokyo, Japan, September 2006
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in the Practice Areas of Patent and Antitrust Law
- Arizona State University, (B.A. with High Distinction, 1974)
- University of Maryland School of Law, (J.D., 1977)
- Maryland, 1977
- District of Columbia, 2007
- American Bar Association - Antitrust, Administrative Law. and Business Law Sections
- Maryland State Bar Association
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- Adjunct Professor of Antitrust Law at the University of Maryland School of Law