Financial technology is about much more than computers handling money. It is the intersection of business, technology, security, regulation, and opportunity. With billions potentially at risk, financial technology exists at the cutting edges of performance, reliability, and security. The result is an environment of constant innovation and the need to protect it.
For clients facing these unique challenges and opportunities, Haug Partners offers unsurpassed legal excellence combined with a uniquely deep understanding of the financial industry. We have extensive experience advising clients in areas such as financial markets, trading platforms, data networks, security, and blockchains (including cryptocurrencies). This experience builds on our attorneys’ experience on the front lines in technology and finance, which gives them a deeper understanding of our clients’ needs: the environments they work in, the problems they need to solve, and the constraints that they face.
With this understanding, we are better able to navigate the legal challenges that go with trying to protect innovations in financial technology. The current legal regime in the United States can be difficult for computer-implemented inventions, particularly those implicating mathematical concepts and (as the Supreme Court has put it) “fundamental economic practices." By understanding the true nature and value of our clients’ innovations, Haug Partners finds the best way to protect them despite the obstacles.
We help our clients define and execute effective strategies for protecting their innovations, recognizing both the unique needs of the financial industry and the complexities of the patent systems in the U.S. and worldwide. We help clients to identify and manage their risks in this dynamic, competitive environment, and to negotiate deals to secure the benefits of their own intellectual property and to utilize the intellectual property of others. And, when necessary, we work with our litigation group to help our clients enforce their rights.
Our goal always remains to provide expert interdisciplinary legal representation to further our clients’ business strategy.
- Trade management and clearing
- Valuation and pricing
- Trading platforms and interfaces
- Dark pool operation
- Networking and protocols for distribution of financial information
- Artificial intelligence
- Modeling and simulation using trained neural nets
- Cryptocurrency protocols
- Blockchain certification
- Collaborative databases
- Analyzed major cryptocurrency protocols and full ecosystems of participants for possible patent vulnerabilities
- Represented member of consortium creating and maintaining collaborative blockchain-based database of healthcare providers, to identify possible patent issues and patentable subject matter in client’s contribution
- Cleared machine learning system for production use by identifying algorithms that raised patent concerns and those that did not
- Drafted and successfully prosecuted to allowance U.S. patents directed to trading platforms, user interfaces and data presentation, blockchain-based document validation, and networking and protocols for distribution of financial information